- This event has passed.
Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA) Certification Training
October 31, 2022 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pmFree
A young person you know could be experiencing a problem. Learn how to help. Take a course, save a life. Strengthen our community.
What is Youth Mental Health First Aid?
Youth Mental Health First Aid is a curriculum through the National Council of Mental Health and Wellbeing that teaches you how to identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental health and substance use challenges in youth. The training gives attendees the skills needed to reach out and provide initial help and support to young people who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem or experiencing a crisis.
Just as CPR helps you assist an individual having a heart attack, Youth Mental Health First Aid helps you assist someone experiencing a mental health or substance use-related crisis. In the Mental Health First Aid course, you learn risk factors and warning signs for mental health and addiction concerns, strategies for how to help someone in both crisis and non-crisis situations, and where to turn for help.
Who can become Youth Mental Health First Aiders?
Youth Mental Health First Aiders can be anyone who wants to make their community healthier, happier, and safer! Teachers, neighbors, parents, family members, local professionals, business owners, anyone!
What will I will learn?
- The importance and role of a Youth Mental Health First Aider
- The impact, risk factors, and warning signs of mental health and substance use challenges in youth
- Strategies for how to help youth in both crisis and non-crisis situations
- How to apply the MHFA Action Plan (ALGEE) in a variety of crisis and non-crisis situations
- Potential sources of support and methods of offering this support
- The belief in recovery and resiliency